Snailspace is a project run by Martlets Hospice, in partnership with Wild In Art. The Snailspace events (including the 10 week Snailway), emails, social media and website are all maintained and run by the Martlets Hospice team.
At Martlets, we are committed to protecting your personal information and privacy. This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information. We will only ever collect the information we need.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time so please check back periodically. We will notify you of significant changes by placing a notice on our website. Our website and all our communications materials contain a reduced version of our privacy notice in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018.
If you have any queries about this privacy notice, please contact us here firstname.lastname@example.org, write to us at Snailspace, Martlets Hospice, Wayfield Avenue, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 7ET, or call 01273 747455 between 9am – 5pm weekdays.
Martlets have a senior person responsible for protecting the confidentiality of patient information and enabling appropriate information sharing. This person is called the Caldicott Guardian; our Caldicott Guardian is Karen Taylor.
We recognise the importance of protecting our supporters and follow the guidance issued by the Institute of Fundraising on treating donors fairly. We provide high-quality customer care, ensuring anyone donating to Martlets is in a position to make a free and informed decision. Further guidance can be found on the Institute of Fundraising’s website at www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/home.
Who are we - Martlets Hospice
We help people do the things they love with the time they have. Our life-changing hospice care gives people living with terminal illness hope, purpose and possibility.
Since 1997, Martlets has provided care and support to those affected by terminal illness in and around Brighton and Hove. We continue to extend our reach to help as many people in our community as possible, ensuring that patients, family and friends have access to our services. Our work is made possible only by the generosity of our supporters.
Our services include an 18-bed In-Patient Unit, our Hospice at Home team who care for patients in their own homes and ensure families and individuals are supported in the best way possible. We also run an extensive set of services and groups through our Patient and Family Support and Day Services teams, where complementary therapies such as Reiki, massage and mindfulness are available to carers and patients.
Through our extensive and varied services, we go beyond the minimum, the necessary and the prescribed treatment to make people smile.
We’re proud to be at the heart of Brighton and Hove, bringing our community together to support families and individuals affected by terminal illness.
Martlets Hospice Limited is a registered Charity in England and Wales (Registration number 802145) and a company limited by guarantee (Registration number 2326410).
Martlets Hospice Trading Company Limited is a company limited by guarantee (Registration number 4557282).
Martlets Care Limited is a company limited by guarantee (Registration number 6250709).
We are registered with the Fundraising Regulator.
We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration number Z338637X).
Group VAT registration number 218597181.
How do we collect personal information in relation to Snailspace?
- Register your interest in the project – as a supporter, artist, Snail sponsor or Junior Snail sponsor
- Download our app
- Enquire about activities and services
- Shop online with us
- Make a donation
- Participate in an event
- Apply to volunteer for us
- Visit our website
- Interact with us on social media
- Otherwise provide us with your personal information
- We may also receive information about you from third parties that we work with, for example, JustGiving and eBay, where you have consented to them sending us your information
What personal information do we collect?
The types of information we might collect from supporters include your name, postal address, email address, phone numbers, date of birth, next of kin, communication preferences, credit or debit card details, and whether you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid. We also hold records of your donations and fundraising efforts alongside the communications that we have had with you. We will not store credit or debit card details after they have been processed.
The types of information we might collect from volunteers include your name, postal address, email address, phone numbers, date of birth, next of kin, employment history, disabilities relevant to your employment or volunteering role, and character or employment references. We may collect special category data including but not limited to race, faith, gender, religion, disability and family life for statistical and reporting purposes but these will be anonymised and no individual will be identifiable.
Applicable to All
You may appear in still images or video footage using Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) that is used on our hospice site for security purposes. We also use photos and video footage to promote and celebrate the work that we do for which we ask your consent. This consent can be withdrawn by you at any time.
The lawful basis and purpose
The lawful basis for processing data held on supporters is the legitimate purpose of raising charitable funds to support the delivery of Martlets clinical care services.
The information provided by supporters is used in the following ways:
- To provide further information about our work, services, activities or products you have requested
- To process and acknowledge donations or payments we have received from you
- To further our charitable aims, including fundraising activities
- Handle orders, deliver products and communicate with you about your order
- To keep a record and breakdown of our fundraising income which we may analyse to help us improve income in future years
- For a period of three years following your most recent donation to send you newsletters and fundraising information unless you choose not to receive these
- To fulfil sales made online or through our shops
- To invite voluntary participation in research or surveys
- To register and administer your participation in events for which you have registered
- To analyse and improve our work, services, activities, products or information (including our website) or for our internal records
- Use IP addresses and monitor website use to identify locations, block disruptive use, record website traffic or personalise the way information is presented to you
- To enable your use of the services available on our website
- To send you non-marketing communications
- To send you email notifications you have specifically requested
- To send you our email newsletter, if you have requested it (you can opt out of receiving our email newsletter at any time)
- To provide third parties with statistical information about our website users (but those third parties will not be able to identify any individual user from that information)
- To deal with any enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our website
- To keep our website secure and prevent fraud
- To verify compliance with the terms and conditions governing the use of our website
- For administration purposes
- For fraud prevention, credit risk reduction or otherwise as required by law or regulation
- To carry out research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our supporters to help us gain a better understanding of them and to enable us to improve our services. This research may be carried out internally by us or we may ask another reputable company to carry out this work for us.
- Fundraising in support of Martlets is an important part of our charitable work so we, or a trusted partner may undertake research or analysis to support us financially. We will only use the information that we hold on record for you or available in the public domain, to ensure that we are sending you relevant marketing communications based on your support and relationship with Martlets and to enable us to notify you of similar activities that you might be interested in.
- We also collect information about how our website is used and track which pages users visit when they follow links in Martlets emails. We use this information to monitor and improve our website, services and activities e.g. to personalise website presentation or to see which services or events are of most interest. Where possible we use anonymous or aggregated data that does not identify individuals.
- Your data may also be available to our website provider to enable us and them to carry out analysis and research on demographics, interests, and behaviour of our users and supporters to help us gain a better understanding of them to enable us to improve our services. This may include connecting data we receive from you on the website to data available from other sources. Your personally identifiable data will only be used where it is necessary for the analysis required, and where your interests for privacy are not deemed to outweigh their legitimate interest in developing new services for us.
We do not collect special category data such as disclosure of a health condition or age, about our supporters unless there is a legitimate and/or legal reason for this.
The General Data Protection Act applies from 25th May 2018 and we will be asking you to opt in to receive marketing communications for E-Mail, SMS and Telephone. We will continue to send you Marketing and Fundraising information through the post as to how your support makes a difference. However, if you would prefer not to hear from us you can contact us calling us on 01273 747455 between 9am – 5pm, weekdays, write to us at Snailspace, Martlets Hospice, Wayfield Avenue Hove East Sussex BN3 7ET, for the attention of Fundraising, or send an email to email@example.com.
The lawful basis for processing employee and volunteer data is the legitimate purpose of managing the relationship between the Hospice and the volunteer. We use the information collected on our volunteer application forms to identify if you are suitable to volunteer with Martlets. If your application is unsuccessful we dispose of your data within six months. If your application is successful we will retain a copy of your application form and your data will be stored electronically to allow us to manage the volunteering relationship we have with you. If you cease to volunteer with Martlets we will retain your personal data for a period of six years.
How do we use Financial Information?
Storing and Processing of Information of Your Payments
Martlets adheres to the compliance of the use of card information to industry standards including: Payment Card Industry (PCI) and Data Security Standard (DSS). We only use Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant providers to collect the data on our behalf. When you use our secure online donation or payment pages you will be directed to a specialist supplier company, who will receive your credit card number and contact information to process the transaction. We do not retain your credit or debit card details. We never keep your credit card or debit card number on our database. Once processed these are destroyed and removed from any forms. We will take payment details from you if you choose to donate or support us in another way financially. We also take payments by cheques and cash. We will record amounts and cheque information for processing purposes.
Sharing your information
We will only share information with any of our employees, officers, insurers, professional advisers, agents, suppliers (including specifically the provider and host of our website or other subcontractors) where we have your permission to do so in accordance with this privacy notice, where it is necessary for a legitimate reason connected with the services we offer or where it is required by law or regulation. For our service users, we will only share your information with family and friends with your consent.
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group of companies (this means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and all its subsidiaries) insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in this policy.
We use Microsoft Office 365, which is a multi-tenant cloud service, for our internal office use; this means that internal documents and information which are generated at Martlets are stored in cloud services which are hosted within the EEA.
Exceptionally, we may use tools or services which process data outside of the immediate EEA, but only in additional countries which are considered by the EU as having adequate data protection laws.
Additional Information for Supporters
We work with carefully-selected partners who carry out work on our behalf. These partners include mailing houses, marketing agencies, IT specialists and research firms. The kind of work we may ask them to do includes processing, packaging, mailing and delivering purchases, answering questions about products or services, sending postal mail, emails and text messages, carrying out research or analysis and processing card payments. We only choose partners we can trust. We will only pass personal data to them if they have signed a contract that requires them to:
- abide by the requirements of current data protection legislation
- treat your information as carefully as we would
- only use the information for the purposes it was supplied (and not for their own purposes or the purposes of any other organization)
- allow us to carry out checks to ensure they are doing all these things. We will never sell your data to any third party.
We will not share your details with other charities for marketing purposes.
Where you or we have provided a password enabling you to access parts of our websites or use our services, it is your responsibility to keep this password confidential. Please do not share your password with anyone.
After you have received the services, goods or information you require, we will store your information according to our retention schedule, in line with current data protection legislation. We do not communicate with people that have asked us not to. We will always dispose of information securely, using specialist companies if necessary.
Your updates and preferences
For Marketing and Communication purposes, registering with the free Telephone Preference Service gives you the opportunity to opt out of receiving unsolicited calls. The Mailing Preference Service will enable you to register to have your name taken off direct mailing lists. You can also register your preferences with the Fundraising Preference Services.
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erase
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us for more information via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone 01273 747455 between 9am – 5pm, weekdays, or write to us at Snailspace, Martlets Hospice, Wayfield Avenue, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 7ET
Right of Access and Complaints
You have the right to ask us for a copy of the personal information we hold about you or ask us to change it if you think it is wrong. Please contact us for more information via email (email@example.com), telephone 01273 747455 between 9am – 5pm, weekdays, or write to us at Snailspace, Martlets Hospice, Wayfield Avenue, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 7ETIf you are unhappy with our use of your personal data, we urge you in the first instance to contact us. You can also read our Complaints Policy on the Martlets website.You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Links and third parties
Please see below for some of these interests and when we may process your information in this way:
- Where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services/communications for the benefit of our supporters
- To enhance the security of our network and information systems
- To better understand how people interact with our websites
- To provide postal communications which we think will be of interest to you
- To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising
- To inform our supporters as to how your monies raised are spent on providing a health and care serve at Martlets
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will ensure that we always keep your Personal data rights in very high regard. You have the right to object to this processing if you wish, and if you do wish to do so please click here.
You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes to this policy.
We may notify you of changes to this policy by email.
Glossary of Terms
Personal Data: any information relating to a living person who can be directly or indirectly identified by reference to an identifier.
Special Category Data: personal data which is classed as more sensitive so therefore requires more protection. For example, information about a person’s race, ethnic origin, politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics, health, sex life or sexual orientation.
Martlets, Wayfield Avenue, Hove, East Sussex BN3 7LW
Registered charity number 802145
Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.